Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Haunted Bank

The Client

Maxo and I were bouncing on the trampoline when my phone rang. I answered it. A voice on the other end said, "Hello, Forge? This is Samuel Smith. I think I have a haunted bank."

"You own a bank?" I asked.

"No, I mean, I work at a haunted bank."

 "Ok. Why do you think the bank is haunted?"

 "It seems like doors are opening and closing by themselves. There are creaking noises."

"I'll be right over." I hung up, put my phone back in my pocket and got off the trampoline.


The Assistant

Maxo said, "What's the Sniff, Forge?"

Maximillian ran out of the house. "Wait, take me! Take me!" he cried.

"Take you where, Maximillian?" I asked.

"To the bank, of course. It's not like I was eavesdropping on your phone call, but I couldn't help overhearing."

"Maximillian, if Forge takes you, you're going to steal the money!" Maxo said.

 "Why would I, Maximillian, steal money from a bank? Isn't it a little undignified?"

"Well," Maxo said, "you're a twit, so undignified is right up your alley."

"I wouldn't call it an alley. I would call it more of a grand avenue," Maximillian replied. 

I ignored Maximillian and said to Maxo, "Come on, let's go."


The Sniff

When we got to the bank, Samuel was not there. I heard a panting behind us, like someone had been been running in a dignified manner behind us. There was a snicker from behind my back. "Boy, you are so slow." I turned around and guess who I saw? Maximillian. It appeared that he had followed us. "Where is that client of yours anyway?" 

"Why does it matter to you, Maximillian? You're not in this investigation. You're not even an assistant," Maxo said.

"That's true. I consider myself superior to being an assistant."

Just at that moment, the Client arrived at the bank. "Finally, you have arrived," Maximillian said. "You are slow, like my pitiful siblings. Do not be fooled. I am the true Ghost Sniffer and these are my two assistants, if you can even call them that," fibbed Maximillian.

"Who are you?" Samuel asked.

"I am the Ghost... well, what does my sister call it? ... Swiffer? Skiffer? Whiffer? Sniffer! That's it. Ghost Sniffer."

"You're not Faith Forge."

"Yes I am. I am ...Faithamillian Forge."

"That's ridiculous," Samuel said. 

"Well, um... what seems to be your trouble with the huge amount of money ... I mean ... ghost? I hear your safe's lock mechanism is bro--I mean your ghost is breaking things."

"You think it's a ghost?"

"Of course. I believe in the paranormal. In a way," Maximillian replied. "At least my sister does," he added out of the corner of his mouth. "I am too dignified for that stuff."

Samuel turned to me. "Are you Faith Forge?"

"Of course she isn't," Maximillian said quickly. "She's my best friend. Her name is Maxineamillian Anvil. And that's her brother, Taxomillian Anvil. He wants there to be more taxes. And to steal the money from your bank, which has a broken lock mechanism. My...um...his plan is to get you to let him in, then he will rob you blind. And that's my ... um ... his ... plan. I'm the only person he trusts. But of course I don't trust him one bit and that's why I told you his plan."

Samuel ignored Maximillian. "Are you Maxo?"

"Yes. Or at least I'm not Taxomillian Anvil."

"So, who is that guy?" Samuel asked, pointing to Maximillian.

"I am who I told you I was ... I'm Faithamillian--"

Samuel cut him off. "You. Wait outside." Then he led Maxo and I into the bank and shut and locked the door behind him.

"But... I want to steal the money from the bank! Whoops."

The Client showed us to the particular spot in the bank where the creaking noises and the doors opening and closing was happening. "This door opens and closes all night. I have some paperwork to do. This is all I needed to show you."

I told Samuel I'd come and get him when we were done. I took the EMF detector out of my bag. I turned it on. Nothing happened. I moved it around near the door. It didn't go off. I decided to sniff. I took a giant whiff and detected ... a Sniff. It smelled stinky like garbage. I asked Maxo to quickly open the door. There was nothing behind it except for the safe. A giant safe. I walked into the room and took another whiff of the Sniff. The smell was stronger in here.

Maxo followed me in. The room was brightly lit. I saw a very big shadow move across the room. Maxo asked, "What was that, Forge?"

"I think it's the Sniff, Maxo." The smell suddenly got stronger. Right in front of me something started to appear. It looked like a very plump traditional Halloween ghost, like a person wearing a sheet.

In my mind, I heard the ghost say, Did the bank manager send you?


Yes, I answered. Are you the one making the door open and close?

Yes. I cannot decide if I want to stay in the room with the safe or go out.


Why can't you decide, I asked.

Because it's warm in here and cold outside. I want to drive my ghost car, but it's a convertible, so I'll be even more cold.

Why don't you get a blanket? I asked.

I can't drive a car with a blanket. It would blow away, the ghost answered.

Why not a jacket? I asked.

I don't have one.


What if I got you a coat? I asked.

That would be nice.

I'll go do that now.




A few days later, I was back in my office, closing the case on the haunted bank. It turns out all the ghost needed was a coat. Samuel said the door has stopped opening and closing. I think he took his convertible and drove to someplace where it's warm all year.

The End.




















No comments:

Post a Comment